Saturday, February 20, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- A TRAVERSE CITY SNOW STORM AND CAPTAIN WILD BILL BARBER!


 During the NorthCentral and Republic days I often had the chance to fly with Bill Barber.  I would have to say, Bill was NorthCentrals "Fonzie"! He always wore his coat with the collar up- always was chewing gum- and had a swagger about him. 

I found him fun to fly with, perhaps because he reminded me of my Italian Uncles.  Perhaps because he was a wonderful story teller. But he definitely was a character!  There's many stories about Captain Barber.  This is just one.

We were flying on a Convair 580 turbo prop. The whole of Michigan seemed to be snowed under. I can't remember the whole flight schedule, just that we were stuck in Traverse City! I believe it was supposed to be a one day trip- but here we were- in a motel- waiting for the weather to clear!

Captain Barber knocked on my door and announced that he had borrowed a car from one of the ground crew.  We were going out to lunch!  The roads looked impassable, but he assured me we could get where we needed to go.

Off we drove with me in the back seat. The pilots were in the front, and the animated language as we drove was hysterical.  Captain Bill certainly knew how to make everything a fun adventure!

Captain Bill took us to a back alley!  We went in, climbed down a set of stairs to a place that had peanut shells on the floor and dim overhead lights!  The man behind the bar greeted Captain Barber warmly, as if he had known him for ages! 

He told us to sit at the bar- he'd make something "special" for us. Out came an electric fry pan, eggs, green onions, butter, peppers, and a few other veggies. Quick as a wink he fried up a wonderful omelette for each of us- along with slices of avocado and fruit.  Yum!

Then the stories began!  Stories about Captain Wild Bill Barber's flying days as a test pilot, Aerobatic Flying, and stunt pilot! I was surprised to find out Captain Bill had four airplanes, and was still doing airshows!  The stories were wonderful.  I sat inthralled, being a lover of airplanes and flying since I was a little girl. I began to wonder if the nick name "Wild Bill" came from those air shows and the many thrilling aerobatics he did.

The time flew by. It was early evening before we knew it. I asked what I owed for my lunch and was told that Captain Barber had covered it. That was the Captain for you. Generous, fun, and full of stories and history.  

That was probably one of the best "Stranded in a Blizzard" times I had in my career! The next day the weather cleared enough for us to fly out.

He was almost a testing stone. People either loved him or disliked him. There didn't seem to be any in between! But for those of us who loved flying, history, and characters, Captain Wild Bill Barber was indeed a delight to know and fly with. 

There were times he would get on the P.A. and give the passengers a bit of history about a place we were flying over, or point out a place of particular interest.  The passengers always enjoyed that! And there were a few passengers who knew the name "Bill Barber" from an air show. They would stop at the cockpit before deplaning to shake his hand or ask for an autograph!

Through the years I heard stories about his Wing Walking, Crop Dusting, and Air shows! Bill would always add a bit of history in his stories.  He had quite a history of his own!   

 Bill Barber lost his life to cancer in October of 1987.  His legacy lives on as  "Bill Barber, Air Show Performer Extraordinaire".    In  my memory, the many times I flew with Captain Bill Barber were days of laughter, stories, history, fun flying, and his kind generosity.

Until Next Time, Dear Readers!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure. And Every Once In A Long While A Wonderful Character Comes Along To Brighten, Inspire, Entertain, And Enlighten Your Life! 

May You All Be Blessed To Meet Such A Character!

Rest In Peace Captain Bill Barber! And We Thank You!

8 comments:

Dirty Jim said...

Thank You Marcy,I grew up in the days of seat-of-the-pants flying (born 1938) as my dad (always the gambler) won an airplane in about 1940 or so (he had 4 6s to a full house).

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Dirty Jim- Thank you for your comment! To have an airplane be part of your family- Fantastic! I'd say your Dad was one lucky guy!!

Unknown said...

Thank you ever so much for a story about Wild Bill. I knew him through his Airshows and because of CAL Danny, Can Am Leader ❤️

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Unknown Reader- Thank you for your comment! To know Wild Bill was to be entertained, awe-struck by his flying, educated with his encyclopedia knowledge on so many subjects, and graced with his generosity! We were lucky to know him!

Gary said...

Bill was a great guy for sure.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Gary- Thank you for your comment! I agree, Bill was a great guy and quite a character! Loved flying with him!

Unknown said...

I was a mechanic for Bill for a short time, flew to airshows with him, enjoyed his stories. Also met a few Northwest crew who flew with him at North Central. After 24 years, I still miss him. Dave.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Dave- Thank you for sharing your memory! How wonderful to be part of those airshows! Must have been so fun! We who knew Bill and enjoyed his company will always miss him!