Wednesday, February 17, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- A CREW MEMBER'S GIFT OF LOVING KINDNESS!


 From time to time a experience happens that stays with you for life! This is a true story of such an experience!

I was flying to Seoul, Korea often.  In the Winter the Arctic air was bone chilling!  This did not stop us Flight Attendants from shopping on our layover!  The place to go was called Itaewon. ( I may not be spelling this correctly) We would catch a hotel bus to this market place.

On this particular day the weather was bitter cold! Even with my full length Winter Uniform coat I was freezing! The street venders had cardboard wrapped around their legs to ward off the bitter wind! 

As I wandered the indoor and outdoor venders I was approached by a fellow Flight Attendant.  Her eyes glistened with tears. She asked if I would consider buying some wool shawls/ scarves.

This is the story she told me. She saw a little boy dressed only in blue jeans, worn tennis shoes, no socks, and a light spring jacket. He was selling these scarves and shawls. After buying a few he told her he needed to leave to buy rice for his family and get more scarves.But he would be back in about 30 minutes!  When she told me about him buying rice for his family her voice broke a little. The Flight Attendant was heart broken that he was so cold and working to feed his family! He was no more than 10 years old!

She motioned to where he would be returning and left to find other Flight Attendants to buy his scarves. 

Sure enough, in about 30 minutes the little lad showed up.  Looking at the scarves I was amazed how nice they were.  I don't remember the cost- were they $5 or $10?  I don't remember, except that they were well worth it!

As I was purchasing the scarves the Flight Attendant with the big heart came back. She had several more Flight Attendants with her, all looking to buy from this little boy. She had a package with her. It was a warm Winter puff coat with a hood- a gift to the little boy.

As she presented it to him and encouraged him to put it on his eyes were huge! He slipped it on and threw himself in her arms!  Tears ran down his face!  I'll tell you, there were many damp eyes in our group!

A pilot walked by and asked what was going on.  One of the Flight Attendants shared the story.  I thought the pilot would buy something, but he just scoffed and said "Why bother! He'll just turn around and sell that coat!" I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I shot back at him "Perhaps so- but today he'll be warm! And tomorrow it may go to feed his family!!"  The pilot walked away.

 I understood his skepticism, there are many scams out there in the world. But we were talking about a cold little boy! No matter the scenario, I knew that little lad was cold.  And he looked like he hadn't had a full meal in a long time! I was grateful to be privy to- and a part of the situation! I chose - and still choose to look at such things as a chance to do good. Too often we walk away out of fear of being "taken".

I told this story to my sons when I came home. I had wished I could bring them to Korea to see how others survive, live, work, and hope for a better future! I wanted them to know that though we didn't have much- we were so blessed to have what we did- more than so many people in this World!

The kindness of that wonderful Flight Attendant will forever stay with me. It touched me on so many levels! God Bless her!



I still have two of those scarves, 20 some odd years later!  And each time I wear them I remember the Flight Attendant with the heart of gold who warmed a little boy with her love, purchases, and coat- and touched the hearts of all who witnessed her gift!

Until Next Time, Dear Readers!

Life is Indeed An Adventure! And Along The Way We Sometimes Witness an Extraordinary True Act Of Loving Kindness!


8 comments:

Dirty Jim said...

Thank you Marcy for that wonderful story.I am very much aware of those living on the edge many places here in Asia. Since the start of my adult life 63 years ago, I have spent 42 of those years in Asia, both the Far East and the Near East and I never tire of giving to the needed. To this day I always buy articles and food from any child and old people, sometimes only to give it away ten minutes later because I actually did not want it but bought it only to help out. I have found out how often a 20 baht purchase (about 60 cents) can make a person smile. . JIM.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Dirty Jim- Thank you, Jim! It sounds like you are well aware of the needs of the street venders! I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Alia said...

Marcy, you make me think of my father, who taught me it is better to give to the street "scammer" when you meet one, rather than walk away. How will you even know which person is scamming you and which one is really in distress, or hungry, or has cold, hungry children at home? Better to err on the side of kindness, he taught me.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Alia- Thank you for your comment! Yes- better to err on the side of kindness! Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing.🙏

The Flight Nun said...

Dar Anonymous Reader- You are Welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. It had me in tears, I have to admit. I've certainly had my fair share of trips to Itaewon as well. Great bargainss--well, they used to be until the Olympics when all the prices jumped sky high because the Koreans had learned how much people had been paying in the U.S. I don't think the prices ever came down after that.

I have a similar story regarding a fellow flight attendant who shall remain nameless (Jan Modine) who used to bring canned cat food from LA to Japan to feed the feral cats at the Narita International Hotel. What a huge heart Jan has! Fellow crew members used to know just where the cat food was stashed and they would feed the cats while Jan was back in the states stocking up on more cat food.

Lastly, just to be fair, not all pilots are like the one you encountered. Several are generous to others especially their ex-wives. LOL I couldn't resist.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Unknown Reader- Thank you for your comments! God Bless the Cat lover who would always make sure they were fed! And yes- there are many pilots with big hearts- but some pilots were NOT generous to their ex's! Lol! I couldn't resist either!