Tuesday, November 17, 2020

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- HOW A MOTION SICK KID SURVIVED AN AIRLINE CAREER!


 As a kid, a ride in the car would get to my stomach!  I was indeed a motion sick kid!  And yet, the idea of flying was an overwhelming pull for me!  When I was hired I was 128 pounds, a perfect weight for my height and build.  By the time six weeks of training were up, I was down to 115 pounds!  I didn't eat much- which is a different story!

So now I started flying in February.  In the Winter the air is fairly smooth!  But here came March in all it's gusting glory! 

The back of the aircraft, where the galley and Stewardess seat was did a lot of back and forth swaying  as well as up and down bouncing.  I spent many a flight "green"! And I have to say more than a few landings in the bathroom, being sick!  I learned to carry a large bottle of mouth wash with me on every flight!  I was loosing weight! I think I got down to 110 pounds, a skeleton look for me! But I wasn't about to give up!

I'm one of these folks that get queasy with any ride that goes sideways- even a merry-go-round!  I'm sure there's a medical name for it.  But I was determined to find a way to overcome.

When one of my passengers handed me a sick bag I fought the urge to follow suit!  I knew there had to be a way of handling this!

I shared my dilemma with my mother, since she was worried about my weight loss. Her advice from her "Morning sickness" experience? Soda Crackers and warm 7 up. (no bubbles), plus a cold compress on the back of the neck! Take off the jacket- whatever you can to cool down!

It worked!! After about 6 months of being "green" I finally found a way to handle the situation!  It helped many a passenger as well!  I seldom flew without a box of soda crackers with me!

I'm grateful for my mother's advice and grateful I hung on until I found a "cure"!

Who says one can't overcome such obstacles!  It's good sometimes to be stubborn!

Until next time, dear readers!  Remember, Life Is Indeed An Adventure, Even When It's A Bumpy Ride!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Today's jumbo jets are certainly more comfortable than planes in the past, but they lack the excitement and thrills of yesteryear. Along with that goes the puking from a bumpy ride! Oh, the wonderful memories!

unit 501 said...

Luckily for me, I never experienced motion sickness why fling! Not once!

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Unknown Reader- Yes, along with the bumpy, swaying, dizzy ride came the thrills and chills! Memories have a way of turning a "green" situation into yet another amusing memory- and one of the ability to "overcome" obstacles!

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Unit 501- Lucky you is right! I've always envied those with an "Iron stomach"!