Saturday, April 17, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- WHEN A CREW MEMBER ENDS UP IN THE HOSPITAL ON AN OVERNIGHT!!


 I don't remember what year this was, nor do I remember if we were now NorthWest or still Republic! But the incident I remember well!

We were in Los Angeles on an overnight. I think we had a full cabin crew- so several Flight Attendants. I was the Lead Flight Attendant. We were staying at the Beverly Hills hotel.  I had just drifted off to sleep when I got a call from one of my Flight Attendants.  She told me that one of our crew members had just had an accident in her room and had gone to the hospital! 

I jumped into my uniform, went to the front desk, and asked for a ride to the hospital.  The gal at the front desk paused for a moment- then said "Sure" and called for a driver.  I was a bit embarrassed when I realized that the hospital was just across the street! When I apologized to the driver, he graciously said- "No Problem!"

Once at the entrance I was told I would not be allowed in unless I was family!  I showed her my badge and forcefully told her the patient was a crew member of mine! And as the Lead Flight Attendant it was my duty to look after my fellow crew members.  It was paramount that I be with her until we could arrange for her family to be there!! I also let her know I'd need to speak to whom ever her supervisor was.

The lady at the entrance took down my information and let me in!

Once in the room my fellow flight attendant cried and hugged me, thanking me for coming! This was her story:

(She had gotten up to go to the bathroom.  As often happens because we stay in so many places, she misjudged the bathroom door. Walking in the dark she literally walked into the door, which happened to be opened out into the room.  But the hook on the door (for towels, I'd assume ) was right at her eye level.  The hook literally pierced into her eye ball! Ouch!!)

I called Crew Scheduling to let them know we'd be short one Flight Attendant. However, we had enough crew members to be able to legally work the flight back.

I stayed with her through the night. At about "wake up call" time  I contacted the captain to let him know what was going on. Shortly after -her family members arrived, since some where in California. This was just before she went into surgery, so I felt it was okay to leave her with the support of family members.I gave one last hug and "good luck" to that brave injured Flight Attendant and went back to the hotel. 

The whole crew was gathering in the lobby, waiting for the shuttle to take us to the airport for the next flight.  I quickly informed them that we would be one Flight Attendant short and explained what happened. After quickly gathering my things I joined them.  I shared that I hadn't slept at all so may be a bit fuzzy- but thought I could hang in there for the 4 hour trip to Detroit.

All I remember of the trip back was the kindness and help shown by all the other Flight Attendants.  At some point each one came up and asked how I was doing and if I needed help. I stayed on my feet, serving water in between serving meals.  That assured me I wouldn't fall asleep!

Years later I was taking an elevator down to the crew area of the airport when the gal behind me recognized me. She was the little gal that had ended up in the hospital years before.  She said she never forgot my kindness of coming to be with her during that frightening time.  I firmly believe any other Lead Flight Attendant would have done the same.

So that's the story of having a fellow crew member end up in the hospital, due to a freak accident.  That could have happened to any one of us!

UntilNext Time, Dear Readers!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure, And From Time To Time We Are Called On To Be There For One Another!



 


4 comments:

Dirty Jim said...

Marcy,Did her eye turn out OK ?

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Dirty Jim- I saw her years later. She said that the towel hook went into the white part of her eye- so no damage to her vision!

Mohammad Syed Husain said...

Very responsible conduct.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Mohammad- Thank you! I can only assume that any lead flight attendant would do the same! The crew members are "family" at work!