Saturday, March 13, 2021

MARY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- A LITTLE COCKPIT HUMOR!


 With both NorthCentral and Republic Airlines we tended to fly with the same crew all month. Of course, there always were times when the Cockpit humor spilled into the cabin!

One such incident happened on a DC-9-30.  I was flying with Judy, a beautiful statuesque, well endowed blond. (I was the brunette with the "good legs"!)  Ha!  One day the Captain came on and announced that the passengers were lucky to have two of the best cabin crew members!  He said "One is named Marcy, the other "Bubbles"! I'll let you decide who is who!"  Judy just put her hands on her hips, stuck out her chest a bit and said "Well!!!"   Lol!! God love Judy, she is not only brilliant but has a wonderful sense of humor!  Sure enjoyed flying with her! The two of us had more than one adventure, silly fun times flying together!

             Sure don't remember wearing my hair like that! Must have been a "BAD" hair day! Ha!


Then, of course there was a great deal of silliness and teasing between the cockpit crew and the Stewardesses/ Flight Attendants.

I was called to the cockpit of a Convair 580 (an airplane where I was the only Stewardess).  Both pilots had their shirts, jackets, and hats on backwards! Where their hair should be there were masks on the back of their heads, really ugly masks! They were leaning forward- so looked like they were facing me, sitting backwards in their seats! ! Not sure, but I think I shrieked! After a moment of regaining my composure, I started laughing- thinking how they must have had to dress each other to get the shirts buttoned!  I wish I could have seen them in action!  They stayed that way, and when we were at our next stop an agent came on board to give flight papers. He gave a shuttering jump when he first walked into the cockpit! Glad he had a healthy heart! Whew! Afterwards he ran to the terminal, came back with a camera, and took a picture! After his initial shock he thought it was great fun!

Then there was the time I brought beverages to the cockpit.  Both the Captain and the First Officer told a joke. Captain first. It was a bit off colored- but funny! Then it was the First Officer's turn. After he told his strange silly joke he cheered! " Yeah!  I Win!!" 
- --What?!? 

They had a bet on who could get my left eyebrow to raise into a exclamation mark! Lol! (It's a family thing!  My Father had that "eyebrow", as do I and my sons!)  I thought it funny that we had flown together so often that they had my facial expressions down pat! Ha!
Captain- zero  First Officer- one !

I'll end with a story of my own.  I flew with a pilot who was very flirtatious. And--Let's just say he didn't take rejection very well! On our second day of the trip he was grouchy! Lets say he was downright rude! I think it had something to do with me refusing to join him after the first day of the flight.  Anyway--

As we took off he rang the call button.  When I answered the phone he demanded I bring a coke and a glass with one ice cube- NOW!  We were still in a steep climb!  But I struggled into the galley, got what he asked, and opened the cockpit door. (Still climbing!)  He said- "I told you 2 cubes of ice!" Back I went into the galley I went- one more cube in the glass and handed it to him- only to hear he wanted more ice! (little bugger!)--- (Still in a steep climb!)

 I had had enough! I went into the galley, got another glass and filled it with ice.  Shaking the coke can like there was no tomorrow, I then went back to the cockpit- handed him the can as well as two glasses, (one with 3 cubes- and the other full of ice incase he wanted more). Then I closed the door!

What I heard next was a "shhhhhhhhhht" sound and a scream!  I quickly reopened the door!  I innocently said "Oh My! What happened?!" There was the Captain with coke on his face, his glasses, dripping down his pointy nose, and on his shirt.  I think there was even some on his side window and maybe on the instrument panel! Oops!  (The First Officer kept looking out the right window, trying not to laugh!)  I grabbed some galley wipes and a can of club soda and told the Captain he needed to clean himself off!  He was a mess!

He sputtered "You shook the can! You SHOOK THE CAN!!" 
I said "I can't be responsible for where the can was before it got on the airplane!" (Didn't lie- but didn't take responsibility either!) But that was not the end of the war.

We landed in Detroit- passengers got off,  then we crew members deplaned to head home.  For some reason the Captain was walking a little ways behind me, smiling! Glancing down at my bag, I realized why!  I was trailing water where ever I went!  (The Captain must have done this why I was serving and didn't notice.)  He had dumped an entire ice bucket into my roller bag! Of course, it was now melting into a stream of water! We both started laughing and eventually called a truce!
Marcy- one  Captain- one !

Those are just a few memories that come to mind!

All in all, almost all interaction between the Cockpit crews and the Cabin Crews were fun.  I know things tended to change a bit as the airline grew and crews rarely flew often together. But the memories I have of those early years are memories to cherish!

Until Next Time, Dear Readers!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure, And good Memories Are Worth Retelling  And Savoring!


4 comments:

Dirty Jim said...

Thank you Marcy,Keep em coming.

Terileem said...

Love it!

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Dirty Jim- Thank you! As I remember I will write!

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Terileem- Thank you for your comment! Glad you like the stories!