Wednesday, March 17, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- RETIREES ON THE ROAD SERIES- #3 LOST ON A WINDING GRAVEL TRAIL!!

 

For those just joining this travel saga- back in 2008 my friend Diana and I both celebrated our retirements by taking a 65 day road trip!  The plan was to travel by secondary roads from Michigan to Florida and back, writing a blog for the Detroit News as we went.  It didn't take long to realize there were 3 personalities in the car! (Myself, Diana, and Gertie GPS!)


We had gotten as far as Cookesville, Tennessee by now. The terrain was becoming quite mountainous.  Diana was extremely acrophobic. Needless to say I had some concerns about the winding roads up steep cliffs.  Diana told me that as long as she was driving she could concentrate on the road and not the scenery and drop-offs. So off we went with Diana at the wheel towards Dalton, Tennessee.

We stopped along the way at the Stonehaus Winery. I'm an extreme light weight when it comes to alcohol, so didn't try all the samples. I did try the thimble full of a peach flavored wine. Bought some fudge and a wine stopper- and we were on our way.

Now began a new saga of Gerie GPS and Diana. As we were leaving the winery Gertie kept chanting "Recalculating"!  Diana's response? "We're backing up, Stupid!"  I kept waiting for Diana to say "Don't make me stop this car!" in her best mother voice! For some reason I got the giggles watching this quiet, former administrator have a shouting match with a machine! I think I suggested conflict management for those two.

Now things got really interesting.  Gertie fought back! She took us on a trip through mountain roads that became part of a camp ground! Down we wound around, with  Diana scolding Gertie for yet another crazy side trip! Suddenly I heard Diana say "We were in a Camp Ground!! Gertie!! You Are Mean!!" 

I'm wondering how in the world Gertie could get this winding trail confused with a road!!

Now we're on gravel and climbing and winding!!  I wondered if Gertie somehow got ahold of some of the wine at the winery!  Holly cow!  It was getting dark and the road was getting more treacherous as we climbed- a gravel road with lots of switchbacks, climbing a mountain at twilight!! 

On more then one occasion I heard muttering from Diana. At one point she stopped the car. Gertie Chanted her "Recalculating!!" and Diana told her to "KNOCK IT OFF!!"  I didn't know whether to laugh or jump ship! On we went.

Diana seemed to be hanging in there, concentrating on the road ahead as I glanced from time to time at the sheer drops on one side or the other! I voiced my doubts at Gertie GPS's abilities, but Diana said she programed her to take the shortest route - and this must be it. (Interesting that one minute she's cursing Gertie out- the next she's defending her!  I decided the air was too tense to mention it! Ha!)

Finally we reached the top! The scenery was fantastic! We wound down to clearings of farmland, cattle and streams. The mountain hugged them on all sides. And the countryside had such a rugged beauty!

The mountains looked a dark blue against a pale sky, with the land below in quilted serenity.  A slight haze made everything look like it was wrapped in soft gauze!


As we entered Dalton, twilight descended on the valley. The blue clouds marked with darker blue clouds almost looked three dimensional!

Gertie GPS was forgiven--sort of. There was an uneasy peace between her and Diana.  (I was thinking of couples counseling for those two!) But a good meal and a nights rest would hopefully calm things down. I couldn't help but chuckle at some of the unusual conversations between those two!

Until Next Time, Dear Readers!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure! And Having A GPS With A Temper Is An Adventure Indeed!!

No comments: