Saturday, March 27, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- VIOLENCE ON THE AIRCRAFT!


 This is probably my least favorite subject, but indeed part of my flying experience.  Thankfully these incidents were few and far between.

Abuse is NEVER okay- and when it happens on an aircraft it becomes an even more delicate subject.  Here we all are, confined to an enclosed metal tube, often at 30,000 feet- and surrounded by strangers.

I was working on a 727 one day when a female passenger rang for another drink- as in alcoholic beverage. As I asked her what she would like her husband implored her to refrain, stating she had had a lot to drink already. He didn't say this loudly or in a scolding voice- it was more of a suggestion! What happened next was a shock! She reached over and hit him in the face, breaking his glasses! 

I immediately refused her beverage request, stating it was obvious that her husband was right!  Since we had a few empty seats up front I asked him to follow me and reseated him there. Poor guy was close to tears! I gave him a cold cloth for his face (incase of any swelling) and went back to the woman to remind her to stay put and mind her manners. Unfortunately she wouldn't stay put! As the flight continued she would wander up to First Class to "Talk" to him. I finally put on my best MOM voice and said she was allowed to go to the restroom only! She was NOT to come into First Class again!

 I told the cockpit about the situation, of course! Since this was before 9/11 the crew was more free to come into the cabin. The First Officer put on his jacket and hat- came into the cabin and had a talk with the woman. I'm not sure what he said, but she behaved herself after that!

I had a man beating on his girlfriend on a flight from Rome to Detroit. The Flight Attendants separated the couple and threatened to duct tape him to his seat if he came near her again. The girlfriend was sobbing, the guy was swearing-- it was not pretty! On this particular flight we had some military personnel who helped out greatly!  One went and sat with the girlfriend, the other sat near the boyfriend. They kept a keen eye on the situation for us. God bless them!

I'll close with a story that breaks my heart every time I think of it. I was on a Convair 580- heading to Sault Saint Marie, Michigan. We had stopped in Traverse City. A couple came on with a little boy, who's ears were bleeding. One of the other passengers who had also boarded pulled me aside and said the man had been beating the little boy! Needless to say, the passenger who told me this was pretty upset! I was shocked and upset myself!

The couple with the little boy asked for bandages for the boys ears. I told them we had passengers who witnessed the Father hitting the little boy and were very upset.  I asked to let the little guy be with me during the flight-which they refused.  The woman said "His Dad didn't hurt him!"  I gave them bandages and watched carefully as we flew to Pelston, then Sault Saint Marie. 

 I had told the cockpit about the situation, but they just said we couldn't get involved.  This was in the 1970's- NorthCentral airlines.  I felt frustrated and heartbroken that there was nothing I could do to help this little guy.  He was stretched across the parent's laps. Every time he moved they'd pull his legs straight. At one point I reached over to pat the little boy and he cringed away from my hand!

Once in Sault Saint Marie the passengers deplaned. I was close to tears. One of the agents came on board, noticed I was upset and asked about it.  I told him about the little boy.  He said that once inside the terminal the man again started hitting the little boy- to the point an agent said "If you're going to beat that kid- do it outside! You don't do that here!"

I broke down in sobs. The Captain again said there was nothing we could do- we couldn't get involved! I felt hopeless rage and heartbreak.  I felt rage at the mother who did nothing to protect her son! I wanted to do something- but "company policy" forbid my involvement!

Of course, now days the authorities would be called!   Police and CPS would meet the flight!  But domestic violence was not addressed in the 70's as it is today!

I've often wondered if that little boy survived, and if he did what kind of man he became!  It breaks my heart even now to think about it!

Until Next Time, Dear Reader!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure. And Some Memories Are A Heart Wrenching Reminder Of The Dark Side Of Human Nature.


2 comments:

Dirty Jim said...

thank you for such different stories. Marcy.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Dirty Jim- Thank you for your comment. I don't often write about heart wrenching events- but since this was part of my history, I decided to share it. On to happier memories!