Sunday, May 26, 2024

MARCY'S FLIGHTNUN TRAVEL BLOG- GIVING RESPECT TO A FAMILY OF A DECEASED SOLDIER


During my flying career there were many times when we carried human remains- soldiers- to their final resting place. Many times their family was onboard. One particular event comes to the front of my memory.

We had just landed in Detroit. The "Welcome to Detroit" announcement was made by me. Then the Captain came on the PA and announced that we were carrying a soldier to his final resting place, the family was onboard- please remain seated to give respect while the family deplanes.

I was standing at the door when a man in First Class- red faced and frustrated said "I don't have time for this Sh**" came forward and shoved me out of the way so he could deplane.

Now- the Captain was a very tall man- with Wide shoulders- so was a very imposing man. He heard the man's comment along with me let out a "OH!" as the man shoved me. He flew out of the cockpit, hat in hand. Once that hat was on he looked even taller!

Out the door the Captain went at a run.  I was still standing at the door as the family began to deplane. And then I saw them- the Captain and the rude passenger. The Captain wasn't yelling- he was actually speaking very quietly!

As the Captain and rude passenger stood in the jetway- they both gave their condolences to the family as the family passed by. The rude passenger's face was very red. He kept looking at the Captain for reassurance!

Then the other passengers deplanes while the Captain and rude passenger continued to stand in the jetway.  Finally the Captain quietly said to the rude passenger "You may go".

I later asked the Captain what in the world he said to get that passenger to return to the aircraft. The Captain gave me a beautiful flash of a smile and said "Didn't need to say much- just told him he WAS going to turn around and give respect to our fallen soldier and the family. Then I put a gentle hand on his shoulder. That was it."

Looking into that Captain's eyes I could tell how much that sign of respect meant to him- as well as all of us!

Thank you, dear Captain for standing up for our fallen hero and his family!

Remember,  Honoring Our Fallen Soldiers Is A Song From Our Hearts And Tears In Our Eyes!

RESPECT!

No comments: