Wednesday, December 2, 2020

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- HIT BY LIGHTNING!



I posted this story years ago, but thought you'd enjoy a repeat.

During my 39 year career I had several incidents that got my heart pumping. Did I ever fear for my life?  Well-There were a few times that the adrenaline did pump, HARD! One cannot fly for 39 years without there being weather related or mechanical incidents, as well as issues with passengers.

One such incident happened early in my career.  I was flying a Convair 580 Turbo Prop, 48 passengers, two pilots, and myself. The weather was stormy. Rain pelted the aircraft as we took off. I don't believe we ever got high enough of an altitude to ge out of the storm.

I was at the back of the aircraft, in the galley. All at once I heard a BOOM!  I immediately grabbed the hand phone to call the cockpit, turning as I did to face the front.  What I saw coming towards me made my hair stand on end!  Literally!  I wasn't the only one who saw this! Passengers in the isle seats were ducking to the side to get away from it! Rolling towards me at top speed down the isle was a fire ball!

Now, I will say I've often wondered what my thoughts would be if I found myself in "inflight peril"!  Would I have a prayer on my lips? At the time I had no children, so there was no concern there. Well- the only two words that came out of my mouth was "Ohh Shit!" (Not very profound, I know!) However- there was no time to reflect!

And there was no time to move! Where would I go?! The bathroom was to my right, but was not a place I wanted to be trapped in incase of a fire! All this "thinking" was done in seconds, because the fire ball was almost upon me!

The Fireball hit the doorway between the cabin and galley! It "poof"- disappeared as quickly as it appeared! What just happened?!

A few moments later, as my heart rate began to slow down I called the cockpit and relayed what had just happened! I was told we had been hit by lightning.

The "fire ball" I had just encountered was static electricity!  (No wonder my hair stood on end!) I walked through the cabin, reassuring passengers and explaining what had just happened.  One man told me the hair on his arms and chest stood up so much he thought his buttons would burst! Ha!

 We all got a good laugh at that one!  We probably laughed out of relief as much as visualizing this man turning into a fluff ball!  Others gave their reactions, some pretty funny!  One lady said she thought we were going to crash and cursed the thought that she paid cash for her new T.V.!  I shared with them my two word reaction , which they found hysterical.

One woman laughed when I said my hair stood on end. and said I should look in the mirror. Having thick curly hair, wisps were standing up like a halo on top of my head. (Note to self- when this happens, don't try to brush the hair! Now you'll look like a ball of fur!)  All I could do was put my hair in a pony tail.  So much for being  glamorous.

I had a few passengers still concerned for their safety. "Is the airplane okay? Will we get to our destination, land somewhere else? What did the lightening do to the instruments?"

The Captain's voice came over the P.A. reassuring everyone that all was fine, and that there were many fail-safes in place to defuse lightning. We'd be arriving at our normal destination soon.

Even with the Captain's reassurance the 48 passengers erupted in cheers when the wheels touched the runway!

As the passengers deplaned the Captain stood in the doorway of the cockpit, saying goodbye and offering a few reassuring words to those still a bit rattled by the experience. A few shook his hand and said "Thank you!  Good job!"

The Captain deplaned to walk around the aircraft and do a visual inspection to make sure all was okay. He called to the First Officer and myself as we deplaned. At the lower part of the aircraft nose was a large scorch mark where the lightning had hit. Since all the instruments and cabin pressurization checked out good we continued with the aircraft the next day to Detroit.

I did have a few heart pounding situations in my career- though far more on the expressway going to work! But never again did I have quite the fiery, hair-raising situation as I did on this occasion!

Until next time, dear readers!
Remember! Life Is Indeed An Adventure! Even When Lightning And Thunder Storms Make For A Hair-Raising Ride!!

2 comments:

katie@Mountain Willow Designs said...

I had this happen on a 727... I had just gotten off the jumpseat and was walking to the front to start the service. I stepped into Aisle 14C to say something to a passenger, just when the bolt came down the aisle !! Heat radiated and hair stood on end. Yes, we were going through a storm. It was terrifying !! haha happy to be here .
You flew for North Central ? Did you know Joy Cameron ?

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Katie- Thank you for your comment! Yep- that's a situation one doesn't forget! One of those "Oh God!" moments! The name Joy Cameron sounds familiar. Unfortunately- I have one of those brains that never forgets a face, but usually forgets a name! Wads she based in Detroit?