Wednesday, November 25, 2020

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- A CANCER PATIENT'S LAST FLIGHT


 When I flew to Anchorage, Alaska I was use to groups of seniors flying to their "Senior Cruises", and the medical emergencies that sometime occurred with aged passengers.  However, this flight was different.

I was working First Class. As our passengers boarded in Detroit, heading nonstop to Anchorage, I noticed a little older gentleman boarding and sitting in my section.  He was so slight built and frail looking, I knew he probably wasn't in the best of health.  

Some time after takeoff this little gentleman got up to go to the restroom.  I noticed his lips were very blue!  I asked how he was feeling and mentioned his blue lips.  I told him not to lock the bathroom door- I'd stand in front of it to assure his privacy. I was concerned he'd collapse in there!  I contacted the cockpit and let them know I'd be giving oxygen. Once he was out of the bathroom I administered oxygen and got his medical history.  He was in the last stages of cancer, heading to Anchorage to see his brother one last time.  

As the flight progressed it became obvious he would not do well without oxygen!  I took down the second bottle- only to realize it was defective!  When turned it on the oxygen seeped out around the "on" knob.  The First Officer came out of the cockpit- hoping to fix the thing, but no good.

Now I called for an oxygen bottle at the back of the aircraft.  When it was brought to First Class we realized it was showing only half full!! 

Relaying this to the cockpit-I was concerned we wouldn't have enough bottled oxygen to get this wonderful gentleman all the way to Anchorage. We gathered all the oxygen bottles.  I had asked the cockpit if we were going to use the oxygen from the aircraft's emergency supply.  Their response was that if we did that, the aircraft would be grounded for a quite a while to replenish, since it was our backup in case of decompression. I didn't realize that it was quite a long procedure. We would only use it as a last resort. 

I tried not to let our cancer patient know of our dilemma. I didn't want him to be worried nor embarrassed. When possible I checked on him to be sure he was doing okay.  As long as he was on oxygen he seemed to be alright. I spent time with him as duties would allow. He was a wonderful and gentle man.

At some point the cockpit made the announcement that they had requested a lower altitude due to a medical emergency onboard. (At a lower altitude our sick passenger would need less oxygen) They then said to look out the window at the spectacular view! That it was! The mountains and valleys were awe inspiring!

I moved our patient to a window seat and sat next to him for a bit, talking about the view below.  He had tears in his eyes.

  He said "This view is what it must look like from heaven!"  I gave him a quick hug and went to the galley- where I broke down in tears. 

I filled out the proper paper work to have the aircraft's oxygen bottles replenished, wiped the tears from my face, and went back about my duties. (I sometimes have wished I wasn't such a softy, but guess God made me that way for a reason.)

The cockpit crew called ahead for medical assistance once we got to Anchorage.  After landing and the rest of the passengers deplaned the medics came onboard to ensure all was alright. I hugged him and left our brave and wonderful cancer patient in their capable hands.

I met his brother who was waiting to greet him.  I explained the situation. He  looked so sad, I almost broke down again. 

There were other sick passengers I've had onboard. But for some reason, this little brave gentleman and his comment "This is what the Earth must look like from Heaven" echos in my heart and memory.

Until next time, Dear Readers!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure!  And Along The Way We Are Sometimes Privileged To Meet Angels Who Are Just About To Get Their Wings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcy, Anne here. A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you. Just a wee note..
I so enjoyed your entry about the gentle fellow who was placed on your path during an Anchorage
Flight. It certainly brought forth memories. I feel so graced to have had such a splendid career.
It “flew” by so quickly. Cheers, Anne

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Anne- Thank you! I hope your holiday was enjoyable as well! Thank you for your comment about my story. I feel it was an honor and privilege to have been with him on that flight!