Saturday, October 8, 2011

Marcy's Travel Blog- Holland, Michigan! Here I come!

A touch of Michigan beauty
   I'm heading to Holland, Michigan today! My special guide for this adventure is my daughter-in-law Mia. My two year old granddaughter, Payton (lovingly called Paylee) will also be going along. This trip was an invitation from Mia, who's parents grew up in Holland. Mia has wonderful memories of visiting her grandparents there, and wanted to share some of the highlights of her childhood. Wonderful! An "inside" look at a unique place!
   Of course, Holland is famous for it's "Tulip Festival". Located on Lake Macatawa, near the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, it's also home to Hope Collage and Western Theological Seminary. Holland was settled in 1847 by Dutch Calvinist separatists, and known as the city of churches". (There are 170)
   They are also known for their "snowmelt project"- establishing pipes transporting warm water from the nearby power plant to travel underneath downtown, with the purpose of clearing the streets and sidewalks in the downtown area of snow.
   In 2006 CNN Money named Holland as ranking one of the top 10 places to retire. And in 2010 Holland was ranked the 2nd healthiest/happiest town in the United States by the "Well-Being Index"!
   Tune in tomorrow to hear about today's adventure! Mia tells me it also will be a "yummy" one, with LOTS of good food! (Oh my! My waist line!)

  

No comments: