Monday, August 7, 2023

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- ROAD TRIP!! HOW FAR CAN I GO IN DAY ONE?

                       Ruby Encore

Greetings!  I decided to take a road trip! 

 My leased vehicle is one and a half years old!  I don't even have 3,000 miles on it yet!  Since I need to get back to Michigan to deal with my storage unit, driving seemed the best way to go.  I can see a bit of the U.S.A. plus have a way to bring a few treasures back to Florida.

So!  Sunday sounds like a good day to drive, right?  No business traffic. I headed off at 10:30 a.m. toward my first stop- Marietta, Ga. The info on "maps" said it would be a 6 1/2 hour drive from Lady Lake, Florida.  

Of course, that was not taking into account stopping at every other "rest stop" to give my tail bone a break, stretch, and use the facilities!

Lady Lake isn't really near any expressway- so it takes a bit of meandering to get to one.  Once on I-75 heading north- I hit my first glitch, immediate stop and go. (I never did find out why)  About 30 minutes later I was at 70 miles/hr.  

Florida drivers are a bit scarier than Michigan drivers.  Both tend to go WAY beyond the speed limit, but in Florida they will zigzag cross three lanes 4 times to get 2 car lengths ahead! And we have a combo of those going 45mph and those going 85-90!  I stayed in the middle lane and just watched it all unfold!

Heading north bound I entered Georgia in time to see a horrific accident in the south bound lanes!  Multiple cars- a car hauler jackknifed, blocking all lanes- behind that a combo of cars, semi's. and campers all in different positions- some sideways across more than one lane.  I have no idea what happened, but there was more than one ambulance there!  That back up will last for a really long time!

After that it was fairly smooth sailing!  I saw some really pretty scenery.  Since this was a "strictly travel" day, I didn't do any exploring. 

Driving I-75 around Atlanta is a bit of a challenge. I've said it before, the city planners were drinking spiked Sassafras tea when they came up with this traffic flow plan!  Bless their hearts! What a sense of humor!

Six exits away from my destination all traffic came to a halt!  The lanes were closed due to construction- so it was going from 5 lanes down to 2.   Sigh!  By now I'm more than a bit road weary, but it was what it was. I finally arrived at Marietta's Drury Inn at 6:30 p.m.

That was 8 hours of road time- with 4 rest stops and one gas station. 

I think I'll forgo the "how far can I go" challenge! Tomorrow's drive is supposed to take about 4-5 hours. Will see how it goes.  But I'm heading to a place I really love- Beria, Kentucky!

So- hope to share some good pictures, if the weather permits!

Remember, Life Is An Adventure- Even When There's A Few Bumps In The Road!



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcy, we were spoiled with a career that allowed us to look down on traffic not be in them. Today is a new travel day. Safe travels. Donna Koenig

Barb & Dan Conner said...

Marcy...our same destination every year driving home from RSW and our timeshare. The same Drury in Marietta. We usually stay in Berea on our trip south. Safe travels.

Anonymous said...

Love leisure road driving without time pressure

Marge said...

Sure hope that you have some time to meander around Berea. It is such a lovely place.
You might consider a stop at the Horse Park in Lexington,Ky also.

The Flight Nun said...

Donna Koenig- You are right about being a bit spoiled by the career! Road trips, for me are mainly about exploring! But this trip is getting from point A to point B. (Not something I'll do again!

The Flight Nun said...

Barb & Dan Conner- Thank you! Love the Drury Inns!

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Anonymous- I do enjoy exploring via road trips. Unfortunately, this is not that sort of trip. What was I thinking?! Lol!

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Marg- I Love Beria! Great place with an awesome history! I'll be able to explore bit more on the drive going south!

Anonymous said...

Miss you much