Monday, July 25, 2022

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- LAYOVER, LONDON!


 A friend suggested I share some of my favorite layover experiences! I have several, but will share them all separately.  One of my favorite was London!

I was privileged to have a friend that lived there.  Her name was Lily, who was an Aunt of a dear friend. I originally met her when she was visiting the U.S.  So when I chose to fly London trips, I contacted her!

The routine was to fly through the night from Detroit to London.  The crew was to have a 24 hour layover, staying at a lovely hotel in Brighton.  It was a long ride from the airport to our hotel, but was well worth it!  Brighton U.K was a lovely place to spend some time!

However, most of the time I took a quick nap once we arrived, then caught a train back towards the city.  I believe I got off at Kew Gardens, met Lily at her place of work, then went out for an early dinner!

Lily worked in a theater, not sure of what position she held. Since it was live theater, she may have been in charge of scheduling, etc.  She would always introduce me around to the different staff members, all in an attempt to "pair me up" with some eligible gentleman! She had a hard time understanding why I chose to remain single after my divorce! She was quite the character!  I just loved her!

We would take off for an early dinner once she was done with work.  I was introduced to something called "Bubble and Squeak"- similar to American stew.  Delicious!

Whenever I came to London I always brought two large containers of American coffee for Lily.  She loved our coffee plus coffee in the U.K., at least at that time was very expensive! I think I would bring Maxwell House coffee.  The first time I went through customs in London, I wasn't sure if it was allowed, but the agents never batted an eye.  I did have one agent offer to buy one of the cans from me, but had to keep it all for Lily!

After our dinner we would walk a bit, then she would carry her precious coffee onto her bus, heading for home and I would head back to Brighton via a train.

A quick story about their trains!  I loved them! You could get one that had may stops, or one that was express.  I did have one problem! On my first train ride into town I took my time getting off at my stop. Everyone else had already gotten off.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to open the door!  I could see myself riding back and forth- stuck on this train with no door handle! I can't remember how I ended up opening that door- but never again was I the last passenger off the train!

Back to Lily!  She had a rich history!  She was just a young girl during World War II.  As you remember, London was bombed often. I'm now sketchy on the particulars, but somehow Lilly and her parents were rescued by a young American soldier, who later Lily married! Lily always had me smiling with her stories and frank ways. And she was always trying to match me up- or having her nephew in the states fix me up with someone!  The "single Mother" life was beyond her understanding!   And yet she herself was very independent - at least as I could tell!

When Lily wasn't available for a visit I'd meander around Brighton, going into the shops or to the pier. Luckily, almost always the weather was lovely!  And in the evening I'd have dinner at the hotel.  The Italian food there was fantastic!  

I did have one embarrassing moment when a fellow American loudly complained through his whole meal! He couldn't understand unsalted butter, nor did he like the seasonings -on and on he went. Finally he said something to the effect that the "Britts" should all be skinny, because their food was horrible!  I was so embarrassed that this "ugly" American was so horrid!  He was loud, obnoxious, and probably drunk! I apologized to my waiter, saying something to the effect that we Americans are not all like that!

I took a walk once and ran across a "Bobbie"- a police officer. I wanted to ask directions. He smiled and said he knew I was American before I opened my mouth- just by the way I walked!  Evidently, we carry ourselves a bit differently- though I never figured out how.  He also asked me out! Lol!  Though I couldn't take him up on the offer, since we were leaving the next day- I did let Lily know that I had a "Prospect"!  She was pleased! Ha!

So London was one of my favorite overnights- all because of lovely Lily, and our spirited conversations!

Until Next Time, Dear readers!  Remember, Life Is Indeed An Adventure, With Colorful Friends Making The Adventure Grand!


No comments: