Tuesday, January 4, 2022

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- NEW YEARS EVE FANTASTIC VIEW FROM THE AIR!


  Watching the 2021 New Years Eve fireworks this past week, I couldn't help but remember the fireworks I was privileged to see while flying. Usually it was as we approached a major city, like Detroit or Chicago!

On one particular flight, we had clear skies as we descended to our destination. There was a family of four, two on each side of the isle, looking out the windows. It seemed that it was on cue!  All at once fireworks were being let off at several different locations! It was beautiful to see!  The little boy of the family kept repeating loudly, "Look, Daddy! Look, Mommy! Oh!"  The other passengers on board smiled and chuckled, also doing the Oooo, and ahhh- as more and more fireworks appeared below us! Then the little boy hugged is Dad and said "Thank you, Daddy! This is the best!"  

What I found out a bit later was that the little guy had just gotten out of the hospital. He had been so sad about not seeing fireworks. His Dad promised him that somehow he'd be sure the little one would see those beautiful lights. With that promise the Father just prayed that somehow they'd be able to grant the little guy his wish.  I believe the little one truly thought his Dad had orchestrated it all!  I sure wasn't going to tell him any different!

On another occasion we were on approach to O'hare airport in Chicago.  I heard a fairly loud "boom!"- then fireworks appeared so close to us, it was a bit frightening! After we landed the Captain said someone was shooting off fireworks where they were not supposed to! It was a more dangerous situation than I knew at the time!  Once in operations, the Captain was on the phone with more than one agency! As we took off from O'Hare to head to Detroit, we saw a multitude of police cars in one particular area. I guess that could have been a real disaster!

I think my favorite New Years Eve memory is flying on the Convair to Traverse City. As we came near, the lights over the lake were spectacular! We actually circled a couple of times, so our passengers could get a glimpse! At least that was how it seemed. It was one brilliant display after another! Took my breath away! After we landed the Captain wished the passengers a "Happy New Year filled with Beauty and Good Things"!  It was a lovely and rather poetic speech! The passengers wished us a Happy New Year as they deplaned.  

The agent came on board and invited us to join in on their New Years Eve party!  There was enough food to feed an army!  The ground crew seemed happy to have us join them- we were Very happy to be invited! They had family members there too, I believe!  How I loved the smaller airports that had such a feeling of family! At one point someone asked about our New Years Resolutions.  I can't remember what I said, but do remember one gentleman saying he'd like to spend more time with his family.  Everyone got quiet for a moment. Then some jokester said "Hey! Your heart may belong to your family, but your body belongs to the airline!"  We all laughed at that- knowing it really was sort of true!

Though the New Year Eve celebrations have come and gone- and it's now 2022, I want to wish all you you, my dear readers a good year- filled with Beauty, Laughter, Love, and All good things!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!


2 comments:

David S said...

I remember flying out of London Heathrow one November evening about 20 years ago and seeing fireworks as we flew out over the city. It wasn’t Guy Fawkes Night (Nov 5) but close to it so I suspect people were still shooting off leftover fireworks. The view from above is quite spectacular! Thanks for all the stores you have shared this past year and I look forward to reading more this year. I wish you a safe, happy, and healthy year ahead.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear David S- Thank you for sharing your experience! That view must have been amazing! Happy New Year to you and yours also! I look forward to more of your comments as I share my experiences!