Tuesday, December 21, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE CHRISTMAS EVE FLYING MEMORY!

 

 



Christmas 2021 is almost upon us!  Looking back on my career, I still have one absolute favorite memory of flying Christmas eve! I guess posting this story has become a Christmas tradition for me!  But it's such a heart warming memory, I hope you enjoy it, even if you've read it before!

During my 39 year career there were many a Christmas Eve I spent on an airplane! This True story happens to be one of my favorite memories!

I often flew on an airplane called the Convair 580 Turbo prop.  It is - to this day- one of my favorite aircraft! On board were 2 pilots, up to 48 passengers, and a Stewardess- in this instance myself!

On this particular Christmas eve I was flying my usual route from Detroit to Traverse City- on to Pellston- and at last to Sault Ste. Marie.
Leaving Pellston we still had 25 passengers on board, most were military personnel and families going to Kincheloe Air Force Base. It was late at night, going on midnight.  Shortly after takeoff the Captain made the announcement for me to turn off the lights and the passengers to look out the windows! There was the most glorious and breathtaking display of Northern Lights I had ever seen! The Captain explained a bit of how and why the Northern Lights would suddenly appear.

 Then the Captain became a bit poetic, stating that he missed the Christmas caroling he did every Christmas with his family.  He asked me to open the cockpit door and have the passengers join him in singing "Silent Night".  As his beautiful baritone voice came over the PA the hair stood up on my arms. His voice was like something out of a wonderful musical!  I joined in at "holy night, all is come.."- probably a bit shaky because of the lump in my throat- at which time all the passengers joined in!  I couldn't believe the wonderful sound! How beautiful!  And there was a perfect blend of harmony! Obviously we had some singers onboard!

At the end of the song the Captain thanked us all for joining in song.  A moment of quiet.  Then a soldier started to sing "Oh Holy Night.." Again the passengers joined in, and then the Captain, hearing them also sang! After, an elderly woman with a slightly shaky voice- but in true pitch started "Oh Christmas tree.." Again all joined in.  And then quiet.

Suddenly a child's voice tried to sing "Frosty the Snow Man-" but only knew a few words.  Everyone seemed smiled and seemed pleased, applauding the child's attempt.

The cabin became quiet for a moment- then one of the soldiers in the last row sang a rather sad "I'll be home for Christmas.."  He had a beautiful tenor voice. Again I got chills! Next was a deep voice singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.." that again was joined by the other passengers.

We now were coming close to our final destination. There were 4 soldiers in the back row.  I found out that they often sang together at gatherings, etc. They sang in perfect harmony "Do You Hear What I Hear.." 

I stepped into the galley, chills running up my spine! I wept! (Yes- I'm a softy!)  They were tears of joy - touched by the beautiful music, the glorious Northern Lights, and the comradery of the crew and passengers.  I felt like I was in a dream! I was in- and a part of a very private and beautiful Christmas concert! There was more than one glistening eye on the aircraft that night!

Afterwards I quietly made my landing announcement and sat down.  I thought about how lucky - even blessed I was to have such a beautiful experience!  And to have such a wonderful occupation!

After landing, as we opened the door for the passengers to deplane- the Captain and First Officer got out of their seats and stood to say goodbye and Merry Christmas!  There were handshakes, even hugs from those lovely passengers.  Last to deplane was the elderly lady who had led in one of the songs. She hugged the Captain, then the First Officer for a long moment and thanked them for the gift of song!  She said that this flight served to remind her that we were all family, and really never alone- we all belonged to each other!

I've had many wonderful experiences sharing the Holidays with my passengers.  But I can never hear Christmas songs without remembering that one flight filled with Northern Lights and fantastic music!

No matter where you are or what your circumstances are this Holiday- look for the moments of unexpected harmony and beauty!

May God Bless You, Every One!

9 comments:

Alia said...

Marcy, this is the most beautiful thinkg you've ever posted. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes! Thank you so much for sharing this story.

Alia

The Flight Nun said...

Thank you, Alia! It's a very special memory for me! Thank you for your comment!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful memory.

J Griff Griffin said...

Fantastic story. Thanks for bringing back the feeling of the goodtimes at Republic/Northwest.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Unknown reader- Thank you for your comment! This one Christmas Eve will forever be etched in my memory! I was blessed indeed to be a part of to!

The Flight Nun said...

Dear J Griff Griffin- Thank you! Yes- those years of aviation were so special! How I wish we could bring back the feeling of those long gone days, when flying was indeed a joy!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed your story Marcy, I also experienced some enjoyable CHRISTMASES while working which I have told about. God Bless John Barrett.

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful memory. Merry Christmas Marcy.

Anonymous said...


Most beautiful aviation/Christmas story ever Marcy. And on my favorite airplane - the CV- 580!!