Sunday, August 22, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- MOTHER NATURES UNEXPECTED SURPRISES!

 


It's impossible to count the number of times my flights started out with not a cloud in the sky, the weather calm, very little wind- only to end up in rough and unexpected weather! Anyone who has done much traveling has been through this!

One of the biggest surprises was while heading for someplace in South Dakota from Detroit!  It was early morning, all was well!  I want to say it was probably early October. Yes, the temperature was on the cool side- perhaps the mid Fifties, because I was wearing a light weight coat- no Winter lining.

We were heading west.  All at once I  looked at the sky and wondering what happened to the sun! It became almost like night!

The pilots said the weather was a bit if'y.  I'm thinking that meant rain.  I can't tell you what route they took- only that we ended up in the clouds and suddenly were slamming back and forth! Yikes!! What was going on!

I felt like I half walked, half crawled to the cockpit!  It was black as night.  The lights from the instruments had an eerie glow that shown on the pilot's faces! The radios were squawking, pilots intent on their job- so left them alone.  Moving back into the cabin the passengers looked at me wide eyed!  The only thing I could think of to say was that the pilots were in control of the situation and talking to the towers. That seemed to satisfy them.

Now the air felt cold!  I adjusted the cabin temperature and took a seat.  We were still rocking and rolling.  I remember saying a little prayer that all would be well.  Then the pilots came on and said that our destination and much of the midwest  was being hit with a major snow storm! We were heading back east! I expected some frustration among the passengers, but heard none!  It was if everyone was relieved!

Now the pilots were checking to see what our fuel level was, since we couldn't land in Chicago.  It seemed (at least in my memory) that they were being hit with all these flights that couldn't land in Minnesota, Kansas, and the Dakotas! So- We ended up landing to refueling in South Bend, Indiana.The sky was overcast, but it was definitely Fall weather, not a Winter snow storm! Some passengers deplaned- some stayed on as we headed back to Detroit! 

By the time we landed in Detroit it was early evening! It was hard to imagine what we had just been through!  Detroit was now overcast- but no snow! The crisp air said "Autumn"!!

I later found out that the midwest had been hit with up to 11 inches of very heavy snow- in some parts snapping trees and branches, making clean up difficult.  In my memory, the storm lasted up to three days! I know at least one of my three day trips was cancelled due to that storm!

For Mother Nature to have a snow storm the first part of October was rare!  That was in the early 1970's!  Now we are seeing unusual weather in many parts of the world!

So- when traveling, be you a passenger or a crew member, one never know if Mother Nature will decide to throw a wrench in your plans!

Until Next Time, Dear Readers!

Remember, Life Is Indeed An Adventure! And Mother Nature -Sure As Shooting- Will Once In A While Throw In A Surprise, Just To Keep Us On Our Toes!!




2 comments:

Billie said...

In October 1996 we had a very bad ice storm in Kansas City area. Ice knocked out power for some areas for days.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Billie- I seem to remember that! Flights diverted all over the place!