Tuesday, August 10, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- THE GRAND CANYON RAILROAD!!




 Ever since I was 3 years old I was in love with trains!  My step father was a Fireman, then an engineer for the railroad, so we were able to take many trips for free! When I learned that there was an excursion train trip from Williams to the  Grand Canyon, I knew we had to have that adventure!

The adventure started out with a little wild west show, involving a "guest" in a gun fight!
  



We chose the upper observation deck for maximum view! Our train departed at 09:30. There was a buffet set up with coffee, blue berry muffins, dried apricots, water, and juice.


Due to covid, masks were required except when drinking or eating. Our hostess was lots of fun, with a laugh like the character on "The Nanny"! She was full of information along the way!

The views were fantastic!  There were areas of lush green as well as barren land with only brush and soil!




We past "Santa's North Pole" where the Polar Express stops during the Christmas season!


As you can tell, taking pictures from a train isn't all that easy!  I had more "fails" than good shots!


I met the "Sheriff" of the Wild West Show while heading to The Grand Canyon.  Seemed nice enough of a fellow!


Once at the Grand Canyon Ron and I were surprised to realize we didn't have a great deal of time to explore! We pretty much stayed at the South Rim, which still has spectacular views! 


I felt so blessed and happy to be in this ruggedly beautiful place!






There was beauty everywhere I looked!!

The hotel "El Tovar" is a fantastic looking hotel right on the south rim! I can imagine the sunsets there are spectacular !!


Then there's the "Hopi House" originally designed after part of the Hopi Village of Old Oraihi. It was designed by Mary Jane Colter. Originally Hopi artists lived here, creating their beautiful works and selling them on the main level. Now it's no longer a residence, but many beautiful things are on sale here!


We ended our afternoon by visiting the "Artist's Lookout" on the South Rim. Carved into the side of the Canyon- I believe it was several stories of fantastic views!


By 3:00 p.m. we were back at the station and ready to board the train for home!  The buffet of salami and cheese snacks, champaign, and trail mix greeted our return.  We were "robbed" by a few elderly gentlemen who were there for a few laughs and good teasing. 

We were entertained by a gentleman with a guitar and a good voice! Our hostess joined in on a few songs.


As we rounded some bends, I tried to take a picture of the engine that was pulling us home!



My friend Ron and I thoroughly enjoyed our day!  Paramount was the train trip, with some of the wonderful views of the Canyon, learning more history of this wonderful place, and just lots of fun adventures!


Ron's from Hawaii- I'm from Michigan! It's amazing how many folks we met along our little journey from different states- different countries! 

I have had many adventures here in Arizona!   But those stories are for another time!

Until Next Time, Dear Readers!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure!  And Being At One Of The Wonders Of The World Makes This Adventure A Thrill!

No comments: