Saturday, July 3, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- GRIEVING PASSENGERS


 Back in the day of flying on the Covair 580 or the DC-9 we Stewardesses would often walk through the cabin after serving and chat with the passengers.  I will admit, this was one of my favorite aspects of my career.  

I often would ask "And why are you traveling today?"  Among the many responses, death of loved ones or emergencies were among the answers.  I held many a hand while I heard stories of loved ones who had just passed, or tragedy that had just happened.

One such passenger was an elderly woman who hadn't seen a relative in years. Her eyes filled with tears as she related her story, belittling herself for waiting so long in between visits. We talked about the letters she often wrote or received, and I encouraged her to remember that "letters" were a way of connecting - visiting too! She hugged me as she deplaned, thanking me for my words of encouragement.

The families of soldiers during Viet Nam were the most difficult for me. Many were going to Detroit to receive the remains of their young men, to bring them home.  Absolutely heartbreaking.  I was often quiet- totally unable to express the pain I felt for them, or knowing what would be appropriate to say.  The phrase "I'm so sorry" seemed so hollow. One family was so overwrought they got up and paced back and forth - up and down the isle during the flight.  Understanding their heartache, I let them stand or walk whenever the it was possible.

Then there was a man who boarded in Traverse City.  He seemed agitated, tapping his foot or shaking his leg as he sat looking out the window.  As we neared Detroit the Captain announced we'd be delayed due to weather.  The man yelled "No! NO! NO!!!"  I grabbed paper and pen, thinking he may have a connection he was worried about, but when I asked him he almost broke down in tears.  

He had a son who was a student in Ann Arbor.  His son had been in a terrible car accident!  The man was afraid his son would pass away before he could get to him!

I took his name, found out he was being met at the airport by a relative, and went forward to the cockpit.  As I relayed his story to the pilots, they said they'd try to contact the company. (This was in the day when folks could meet incoming passengers at the gate.) A bit later the First Officer came out of the cockpit and talked to the frantic passenger.  

The company had paged his relative and found out the passenger's son had made it through surgery and was doing well.  The passenger shook the pilot's hand vigorously and wipe his eyes.  Needless to say, I was proud of our pilots for going the extra mile for this troubled Father!

And then there was my own story.  I had received a call that my Father was on his death bed.  He was in Arkansas, I was in Michigan.  I hastily packed a bag and headed for the airport. I prayed I'd get there in time to say goodbye.  When I boarded the aircraft the Flight Attendant took one look at my face and asked how I was.  Without thinking I told her I was on my way to my Father and prayed I'd get there before he passed away.  She looked over my head for a moment, as if seeing something in her mind's eye.  And then she spoke softly the simple sentence "Yes- you'll make it on time."  I didn't question how she knew this, but that one sentence somehow calmed me.  (And yes, I made it before he passed away.)

With that one personal experience I realized anew how one act of compassion, even just a reassuring word or squeeze of the hand can mean so much to a grieving passenger!

Until Next Time, Dear Readers!
In Life's Adventure, A Simple Act Of Compassion Can Ease The Pain Of Loss Or Worry.





3 comments:

Allen Konitzer said...

I truly love your post. Please keep them coming. As a 38 plus year employee they bring back so many great and touching monents.

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Allen- Thank you for your comment! You and I have had many of the same experiences, I'm sure! I'm so glad you like my stories!

Paul Lewis said...

Marcy, I've said it before........write a book. You know it makes sense.
Kindest thoughts from the UK.