Saturday, June 19, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- UNPLEASANT PASSENGERS!


We Flight Attendants certainly have had wonderful passengers on board- passengers that have engaged in lively conversation and were a delight to get to know!  And along with that were a few very unpleasant individuals who also were seared into our memory!

Often times, though not always the issues involved alcohol! One such passenger was a woman, traveling with her husband in First Class. She came on with a bit of a chip on her shoulder, demanding a drink as she boarded.  I let her know we'd be serving pre-departure beverages as soon as all the passengers were on board. She rolled her eyes. She and her husband sat in the last row of First Class.

After the first pre-departure beverage I went through the cabin, doing our pre-flight check of seatbelts, etc.  As I came up to First Class she snapped her fingers at me, calling out "Waitress!"  I laughed and said "Did you just snap your fingers at me?  That's how people call their dogs! And I'm not a waitress, I'm a Flight Attendant!"  I did say this with amusement, but the reply was anything but funny!  Her reply? "All you ladies are are waitresses in the sky- and whores!!"  

I stood there with my mouth hanging open!  My eyes must have bugged out!  I couldn't believe what I was hearing!! Her husband shifted uneasily in his seat.  At this point he hadn't said a word! I think my reply was stuttered, but I told her I was cutting off her drinks, since I was sure that she would not have said that if she was sober!!

During the flight she pouted.  If I asked what non-alcohol beverage she'd like she whined she wanted "nothing!".  I noticed that her husband would speak softly to her.  Just one or two sentences from time to time.

Just before landing he motioned me over, saying his wife would like to say something to me.  Her reply?  "My husband wants me to apologize!"  I said I understand what he wants, but what does SHE want to say? Her reply was "I'm sorry I called you a whore." ... I accepted her apology.

Upon deplaning the husband shook my hand and handed me a $20.  I let him know we were not allowed to accept tips.  He said "Tell the company you found it on the floor!"  With that he deplaned, and I was $20 richer!  

There were other such issues during my 39 year career.  When people demanded doubles early in the morning I'd pour 1/2 a little bottle into their drink, hoping to spread out the alcohol consumption! The other crazy stories of unpleasant passengers I'll leave for another time!

Until next time, dear readers!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure, Especially When Alcohol And Name Calling Is Involved!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Marcy good story

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Unknown Reader! Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Liked your story.
My first flight, 1959, was on North Central, AZO-MDW. And went on to do 38 years with TWA.
Norm

The Flight Nun said...

Dear Norm- Congratulations on the 38 years! I'm sure you have many many stories you could share! Thank you for coming along with me down memory lane!