Friday, May 28, 2021

MARCY'S FLIGHT NUN TRAVEL BLOG- THINGS FORGOTTEN AND/ OR LOST. THE PERILS OF TRAVELING!


I've had a reader suggest I write a piece about items lost or forgotten while flying- both by crews and by passengers.


 I've mentioned that I was always loosing bathing suits on my overnights!  On a long layover I'd go swimming.  Then I'd take the wet bathing suit and hang it on a hook in the bathroom, inevitably forgetting to pack it the next morning! That actually got quite expensive!

It was amazing the things folks would leave on the aircraft!  Lost phones were a big thing when cell phones first came out! Computers, diaper bags, coats, and even a pair of shoes were left behind!

On a personal note, my husband took my boys on a trip once- and upon returning left the youngest ones brand new winter coat on the aircraft!  I called, I even visited the "lost and found", but no coat!  That thing cost me over $100! It was not easy to replace, back in the day!  How could one forget a child's coat in the middle of Winter? Easily, I guess if you're distracted.

I took a tour of Greece with a group, years ago.  One of the tour members realized, once we got to New York from Detroit that he accidently grabbed his daughter's passport instead of his own!  Looking at the itinerary, he realized there was no way to get his passport and join us later.  We had to say goodbye to him in New York as he headed back to Detroit!

I once had a passenger frantically trying to get back on the aircraft after she deplaned.  It seems she took her rings off in the bathroom to wash her hands and forgot to put them back on!  One of the cleaners looked and looked- finally sorting through the contents of the trash.  There at the bottom of the trash container were her rings!  I made sure he was the one handing them to her, explaining he was her hero!  She actually kissed him, which made him blush! Ha!

I heard a story about two men fighting over one piece of luggage at baggage claim.  They were about to come to blows.  The agent called security.  The solution was to have each man name what was in the bag- then open it- thereby verifying the true owner.  All at once both men said "forget it!" and tried to walk away.  The Wayne County police stopped them and made them wait while the bag was opened.  Inside was tons of drugs and cash!   (This was told to me years ago by an agent)

One Flight Attendant told me a passenger tried to walk off with her crew luggage!  When she realized that was her bag rolling down the isle she stopped the person- who got really ugly with her!  That's when she realized it was no accident!  He really did mean to steal it!!

And I'll end with a note about a lost stuffed elephant.  

It was found on my airplane (under a seat) by one of the cleaners. I brought it to the agent at the gate- who had the kindness to check seat assignments for that incoming flight.  Then she made an announcement as well as calling the baggage agent.  A bit later a frantic mother and toddler ran up to the gate to claim "Ellie" the elephant.  The toddler was fussing about something, but the mother couldn't make out what the problem was until she heard the announcement!  That was the toddlers sleepy time cuddle toy, so both mother and baby were pretty happy to be reunited with Ellie!  God bless the agent for taking the time to help out!

Eye glasses were another often found item when the cleaners came on. One gentleman was traveling with his elderly Father.  Once off the aircraft they realized that the Father's glasses were not in his pocket. Connecting with the gate agent, she went back to the aircraft and looked in and around the elderly gentleman's seat assignment. No glasses.  Just as she was ready to get off the aircraft she stopped- said "I wonder"- and looked in the bathroom.  There on the floor was the man's glasses! I think she must have had E.S.P. ! Since it was a busy day and always pressure to get a flight out on time, I was surprised the agent took the time to look for the glasses.  I mentioned this- and the agent said "My Father has bad eyes and very expensive glasses. I feel sorry for the poor old guy! This could be my Dad, frantic for his glasses!"

We had many wonderful ground personnel through the years that went out of their way- often without thanks or acknowledgement- for the passengers as well as the flight crew!

I'm sure there are many more stories of "lost and found or forgotten" that will come to mind, but that will be enough for today!

Until Next Time, Dear Reader!

Life Is Indeed An Adventure,  And These Little experiences Of Kind Ground Crews Warms The Heart!



No comments: