Thursday, November 26, 2015

Marcy's Travel Blog- Gratitude!!

This past Sunday I took off for my Son's home for an early Thanksgiving!  Steven is a Captain with Spirit Airlines, and as most airline folk know, Thanksgiving is one of the busiest holidays  for airline folk.

Our family's motto has always been "Holidays are in the heart, not the calendar"- so, our Thanksgiving came early this year!




We had just gotten hit with over 16 inches of snow!  The whole family had been out shoveling, in anticipation of their guest's arrival. Needless to say, they all begged off having their pictures taken this year!










My contribution to the feast was "before dinner" snacks and wine.  So- it was fruit, veggies with dip, cheese, beef stick, and a large bottle of white wine.












While most families watch Football during the Thanksgiving day, my family watches an MMA fight! (When Steven's schedule allows it, he's a Striking Coach for an MMA Team!)





Son Steven, Grandchildren Evan and Payton, Daughter-in-law Mia, myself, and Mia's parents (Bill and Willy Lawson) made  7 for dinner!

Mia was hard at work making a fantastic feast, with her mom Willy making gravy and helping out where needed. This year I did more watching (and drooling) than helping!  Mia was so organized, there was little for me to do.




The Turkey was beautiful!  I took on the task of carving the turkey, with a little help from Willy!  It was almost too beautiful to eat!  And it was moist- and delicious!!














I struggled to get a picture of the rest of the meal.

 Stuffing, green beans, rolls, whipped potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and roasted sweet potatoes- all mouth watering and delicious!

 (Did I happen to mention that daughter-in-law Mia is a fantastic cook?)








A meal with my son can not be had without a great deal of teasing and ribbing.  For some reason, he's got my hand gestures and certain habits down pat!  Of course, all stories are embellished-  for the sake of the  telling, so once again he had me in stitches.  With hand gestures and a soft (rather squeaky) voice he imitated me asking for seconds. Ha!

Then my 6 year old Granddaughter Payton suggested we all talk about what we're grateful for!! a 6 year old!  Wow!  That blew me away, for - let's admit it, that's what Thanksgiving is really all about!

She started!  Every one of us 7 - that includes the children, were grateful for our abundance,  our families, and our circumstances. When it was my son's turn, he simply said  "I am grateful for absolutely EVERYTHING!" There was more than one glistening eye, as we shared our full hearts.

Gratitude!  Yes, we really do have an abundance of blessings!  This family and extended family are certainly among the folk who are aware that each day is a GIFT.  Each gathering is a BLESSING.  And humor, laughter, and good times shared around the table the icing on the cake!

Speaking of icing-- these were the choices for dessert!  See those yummy cupcakes on the left?  My granddaughter Payton was extremely proud of those!  I'm not sure if she did the baking, but know she did the icing and decorating!

And that was the Wedekemper, Lawson, Padrta Thanksgiving!




May you all have a heart filled with Gratitude as you celebrate this day!  Each and every day is a gift.  One cannot live very long without loosing a loved one, or a friend.  It brings fresh to mind how precious life is.  I will add that I am so Grateful to have the opportunity to share my thoughts and adventures with you dear readers!

Peace!









No comments: