Friday, March 27, 2015

Marcy's Travel Blog- The Return to Civilization, and Molokai !!







In my last blog,  we were at the Haleakala Crater.

In many ways it looked and felt like the edge of the World!

Being there was a fantastic experience.  I think I could have spent days following trails and studying this place.

 Perhaps another time!

















We needed to return the car by 4:30 p.m. and take the shuttle back to the harbor.  So, off we went down the winding, twisting road! The clouds that were below us now sat adjacent to the road.


Then we were driving IN the clouds.  A "white out"  is difficult enough to drive in on a flat road, but a twisting mountain road with it's switchbacks was quite the challenge!  Ron did a wonderful job maneuvering through this. Added to the fog cloud and the switchbacks were the bikers that you could come upon at any moment!



Once down the mountain, we encountered terrific traffic! Oh my!  At 4:20 p.m. we tried to call the car rental place to say how far away we were.  No one answered the phone.  So- at 4:30 we were still 10 minutes away and figured we had missed the last shuttle for sure.  Pulling into the parking lot, what should we see but the shuttle van, fellow passengers, and driver!  Hurrah!




Back at the harbor we stopped at a store for sandwiches, soda crackers, and Dramamine!  We had enough time to relax in this lovely little park by the Ocean.








Then on the ferry we went, heading to Molokai.  Goodbye Maui! Next time we'll stay longer!

We stayed on the upper deck- where I munched through the 2 hour trip. No motion sickness, thank goodness!






An added plus was the Humpback whales that showed themselves in the distance. I tried to get pictures of them, but no luck.





Just as the sun was setting,  one lone Humpback showed himself, coming closer with each breach of the water!  It was as if he was showing off, for with each time he surfaced the splash of the body and tail became more of a display!  It was fantastic to see, and a perfect end to a wonderful day!

Back in Molokai, Ron and I shared our experiences with our host, then I headed for bed. The Dramamine I took was taking a toll on my senses. I couldn't keep my eyes open!







I fell asleep thinking of the Haleakala Crater, Humpback Whales, and how incredibly lucky and blessed I was to have such an experience!


In my next blog we will be saying goodbye to Molokai and heading to the Island of Oahu, and to the beautiful Makaha Valley! Thank you all for following along on this glorious vacation!




No comments: