Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Marcy's Travel Blog- A Few Mishaps, A Lot of Laughter!





Jan and I decided that for our last day, we would wander Savannah, taking one more opportunity to soak in the history, sights, and sounds of the city.

Many of the beautiful homes surrounding the different squares have high vine covered walls and rod iron gates enclosing court yards, such as the one on the left.















The "Massie Heritage Center of History and Architecture" was near our Inn. We wanted to visit this historic school before we left.

A gentleman named Buttons Jordan gave a quick welcome, then explained the history of the city's layout.









This is the statue of James Oglethorpe. He was a member of English Parliament who was interested in establishing a "Debtor's Rehabilitation Colony" in the new world.

Once in the New World, in an area which is near what we now know as Savannah, Georgia- he met and became friends with an Indian Chief named Tomachichi.

Tomachichi's tribe lived near the Yamacraw Bluff, overlooking what is now Savannah. He aided James Oglethorpe in establishing the colony.










Oglethorpe's inspiration was urban planning. He devised a series of squares built on a grid, each square to have buildings for commerce, government buildings, and houses. The squares themselves were not initially set up as parks, but set up for wells and livestock!








There were no alleys here, they were called "lanes".






Massie School was established in 1856. It was Savannah's first free school. Strict rules applied. There was a separate staircase and play area for boys and girls! The attitude was that school was for learning, not socializing!


















After we visited the school, we decided to walk. The squares were lovely, so with the sun shinning and gentle breezes, we inhaled deeply all things "Savannah"!





















This older home was in the process of getting a face lift.




















Near one of the parks this tree swayed gently in the breeze, almost dancing!




















Seen on one of the doorways.














The Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist was also near the Inn. There were scaffolds covering most of the exterior.

However, the church was open to visitors- and photos were allowed!

This church is beautiful!








The stained glass windows and beautiful ceilings were awe inspiring!



The picture to the left is of the balcony organ.





















As we wandered back outside, I noticed a sign that gave the history of the church. The problem was the sign was behind a large chain link fence, due to all the construction. I carefully wove my iPhone and hand through the fence, so I could get a clear picture. As I was taking the picture there was a "flip" (the phone flipping out of my hand), a "clunk/crash" as the phone hit the cobblestones below! Now I was looking at my phone---disassembled on the other side of this fence. I think I lost my religion and said a few "un-heavenly" words! As I started back to the entrance (grumbling) to see what I could do about recovering my now dismantled phone, Jan called out to me. She had somehow squeezed around a slight gap in the fence and retrieved the three pieces that once was my precious iPhone! Here's the picture my phone took as it jumped out of my hand!







The good news is the phone casing had just came apart. It went back together without much effort! Whew! But as you can tell, the picture didn't come out to be much good!

We got the giggles over my  "slip of the tongue" profanity! It was rather ill timed, since we had just been to a place of worship! Plus it's rather uncharacteristic of me. Ah me, feet of clay!











We drove to the Savannah River for one last look at the ferry boats, then headed to the Town Market for dinner. We chose "Belford's", where I ordered Risotto with shrimp, a salad, and a glass of wine.

Across the way was a candy shop! Oh No!! They sold Pralines! This is a yummy candy that seems to only be made in the south, though I can't say this for sure. I purchased a box as a gift to the staff at the Hamilton-Turner Inn, and a small box for us.












Now it was dark, and time to head back to the Inn. Unfortunately, Jan decided I was to be the navigator! With map in hand, I strained to look at the street signs as we passed them. Street after street sign went whizzing by. I'd look at the street sign, but by the time I located it on the map, we were in new territory!

Finally I yelled "STOP! Don't move until I figure out where we are, I mean where we are this minute, not where we WERE!" Again we started laughing! It was one of those silly, vacation type scenarios you see in a comedy, where two hapless females spend the night going in circles!

As we finally pulled up to our evening's lodging, we looked at each other and again broke into laughter. (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the glass of wine with dinner!) Ah, me! Laughter is good for whatever ails you!





The next morning we bade goodbye to the lovely Hamilton-Turner Inn and staff.

                                   
The Lafayette Square was our last place to revisit before we said goodbye to Savannah!

What a lovely old city! Full of charm, history, gracious hospitality, and good food, it beckons me to return again soon!










And so we headed south and west, toward sunny Florida! Come, follow along as I share the continuing adventure! Until next time!

Life is an adventure, even when it's a bumpy ride! And laughter and friendship has a way of smoothing out the rough spots!


No comments: