Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Marcy's Travel Blog- A Gardener's Paradise!



Carpinteria, California is an area where many of the Orchids of the U.S. are grown! My friend Phyllis knows I love to garden, so chose two delightful places to visit! Though there are many nurseries in the area, these two are amoung Phyllis' favorites.














It was time for lunch, so we first stopped at The Garden Market that had outdoor seating!












Ha! That grin's a bit smug! Sorry!


Yes, we sat outside to eat- a lot!-( Because we could!! Love eating outdoors in the sunshine! It will be quite a while until I can do this in Michigan!)


















We were concerned about the resident cat- didn't look too healthy to us!

















The food was wonderful! The outdoor eating area was charming! They also have a wonderful shop, filled with delightful househol decor and Christmas items!











Next Phyllis brought me to a nursery dedicated mostly to Orchids! Oh- my! The beauty and the colors!! It was a feast for the eyes!!! This was "Gallup and Stribling Orchids"- with 1.5 million square feet of greenhouse space! (A state-of-the-art breeding, growing and distribution facility!)










I was happy to be surrounded by such beauty!
















Our other stop was just as fascinating! This was "Island View Nursery". A combination of flowers, decor, plants, and trees were at every turn!









Beautiful ornate door- wondered if it was for sale!








































This is a waterfall fountain- prettier in real life!





This "living wall" is done with screening, moss, and a door frame!















I jokingly asked someone there if I could move in! I'd bring my sleeping bag! In return for living space  I'd water all their plants and trees! They laughed and said "SURE!", but I don't think they'd be so agreeable if I showed up with bedroll in hand!


My wonderful hostess, Phyllis, knows I LOVE gardening! What a lovely day! Thank You, Phyllis! Now- just to figure out how to apply some of those wonderful gardening ideas in Michigan!

No comments: